Monday, September 8, 2008

Change in plans...or not??

Dr. Esplin is the attending perinatologist once again this week and he was very encouraged by how I am doing. He said he really didn't think I would still be pregnant. He said if the ultrasound today looks okay and everything stays as stable as it has been (and only because of the fact that I am a nurse) they would consider letting me go home when I hit 32 weeks.

My initial reaction? Wahoo!! I was so excited. But then I thought about it and maybe that is not the best idea. Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to go home and see my husband and my puppies and sleep in my own bed. But I also don't have a whole lot of help at home. My husband works long days, my parents are in Logan, all of my family in town works during the day, and my two best friends are all set to deliver babies of their own next week. Which means I would be getting up to fix my meals, let the puppies out, be tempted to do little chores, etc. Not only that, but I would be alone all day long so if anything did happen, there would be no one there to help out or get me to the hospital. If I can buy 2 to 3 more healthy weeks on bed rest in the hospital for my daughter vs. 1 more week at home with the chance that I could get much sicker, well, I think I might take the hospital stay (as much as I don't love it here). I didn't think I would ever say that in my life, but I can't help but think that the reason I have stayed so stable is that I am forced to not do anything here. They bring meals to me, my bathroom is 8 steps away, and anything else I need is a nurse call light away.

As I went down for my NST and ultrasound, I ran into Dr. Esplin. He said that it has only been 2 weeks since the last growth ultrasound and it really wouldn't tell us much, so we rescheduled it for next week. So he said that most likely I would not be going anywhere until next week, if at all. I discussed my concerns about going home with Dr. Esplin this afternoon and he said he would only send me home under ideal circumstances, and that both the medical team and I would have to be completely comfortable with the idea. Regardless, my blood pressures are higher today anyway, so I guess we are back to taking it day by day.

P.S. The NST was fine (she had accelerations withing the first 10 minutes) and my labs look great again today.

4 comments:

shuggy said...

i'm so glad you are doing so good!! i agree...i think you should stay there. too scary to be home alone and have anything go wrong. and the more inside time the little one gets, the better. so we'll come see you more and make your stay a little less boring!!

Heidi said...

I too would recommend staying there. The first time they sent me home I was back within twelve hours and the second my water broke so I wish I would have told them I'm not leaving! I'm glad she's staying put for now!

Mary said...

That is such great news. And they say nurses don't make good patients! If I were you, I'd stay put. Conditions aren't ideal at home with Trav being gone so much. And think of the food--IMC food would look good probably compared to Trav's cooking!
Your little one is being good because of your patience and persitence. Keep it UP! We'll come and see you.

Sarah said...

Hey Jami!
I am glad to hear your little girl is still cooking away! Almost 32 weeks, Yeah!! I also think you should stay put, You are too thoughtful and so much of a people person. I am sure it would be hard stay down at home.
Hang in there!
Continue to think about you lots. Let me know if you need anything.