Thursday, March 11, 2010

Horrible but adorable

Having a child who is sick is horrible. I hate the helplessness I feel as I watch her struggle with a cough, fever, and runny nose. You might think "Oh, Jami is a nurse. She takes care of much sicker children all the time...this is a piece of cake for her!" Well, let me assure you, it's not. My heart breaks every time she looks at me with tears in her eyes because she has been coughing so hard. I don't have access to all of the things that might make it a little better, like we do at the hospital. There are not even good drugs you can give for these nasty respiratory illnesses. All I can do is give her some Motrin to bring the fever down, put in a Baby Einstein movie, and snuggle her. I had to call in sick tonight. How can I go to work and leave this behind?However, there is a certain amount of adorable that comes along with being sick. Anna really has been a momma's girl this week. She lets me snuggle her a lot more than normal...as long as we have her blankie. It's amazing to me how much better she feels once she finds her "coco", which is the specific corner of her blankie that she likes. My little one has had a nasty cough this week (the forceful, painful kind of cough). After each coughing fit, she will look at me and say "A okay?" This stems from me asking her "Are you okay?" many, many times this week. Melt my heart!! At every diaper change, she asks for "keem". When I ask where she wants cream, she replies "cheek" (for her eczema) and "bum". She has also been heard repeating "Oh, honey" multiple times, in a sing-song sappy voice, another thing she has heard me say to her. Melt my heart again!

Whether it be RSV, Metapneumovirus, or just a cold, she really is tolerating this illness quite well. She is sleeping well at night, staying hydrated with her juice, and she takes Motrin (and even occasional Benadryl - sue me) like a champ. Even a fever of 102.7 didn't dampen her spirits too much. She just doesn't play quite as hard. And she takes more cat naps...clutching her trusted "coco", of course.

Anna is doing fine, considering. It's just her mother that struggles a bit with this viral inconvenience. I'll be fine, too...eventually.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor girl! I hope she's feeling better soon!

The Lyon Family said...

She is still adorable when she is sick. I hate it when Tate gets sick and would change places with him any day. It is amazing how these little ones pull at our hearts!

daisy deb said...

you make me smile, even Anna's hair looks cute when she's sick...I always knew which babies you had in the NICU (the one's with the piggy tails) :>)

shuggy said...

hope she feels better soon!